Strategic quality management is the process of establishing long range customer focused goals and defining the approach to meeting those goals. The eight elements of strategic management are:
- Define mission and critical success factors
- Study internal and external environments and identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to the organization.
- Define a long term goal (vision)
- Develop key strategies to achieve that vision.
- Develop strategic goals.
- Subdivide the goals and develop operational plans and projects to achieve the goals.
- Provide executive leadership to implement the strategies.
- Review progress with measurements, assessments and audits.
Quality must be integrated into the eight elements of strategic management mentioned above. This is made possible by setting up organizational mechanism to carry out improvements, train all levels to execute their quality responsibilities, establish measures and review progress against improvement goals and provide recognition for superior performance.